U12 Marie O’Reilly Cup – Blessington U12b v Raliway Union A

Blessington U12b 1 v  1 Railway Union A  FT. Railway Union win 1-4 AET.

This was as in the first game a tight affair with both teams having chances in normal time to close this one out. Eventually though it was Union who ran out winners with a fine extra time display, capped by a wonderful hat-trick by their pacey striker,
The game started off quiet enough with both teams feeling each other out, and with defenses giving nothing away chances were few and far between, Blesso’s first real attempt fell to Adams after a neat piece of inter play with Daragh Gilroy, he set himself nicely up for the shot but fired straight at the keeper, Ryan Mulvey had a shot blocked straight afterwards, and the Ian Coughlin had to be alert to clear the ball away from the on rushing Union player, Tadgh Miley laid on a ball for Cian McCarthy but the winger scuffed his shot and again the keeper made a comfortable save. Union started to have joy down the flanks now and only for a last ditch block from Don Halpen should have went one up. Minutes later though the break through came when Union played  the long ball through the Blesso Defense, as our keeper came to clear the little Union striker did brilliantly to nick it past him and into the net (0-1) Ryan Keogh then had a great free kick saved and Ian Coughlin made a similar save at the other end. (HT 1-1)

The second half was all blood and thunder with two evenly matched teams having a real go. Union should have went two up when their midfielder narrowly missed the goal from close range. At the other end Blesso had two near chances both times the strikers failed to connect with the through balls and both times the ball went out of play harmlessly. But they did get themselves back into the game when Daragh Broe Foster shot was blocked in to the box, but little Patrick Cunningham followed up brilliantly to fire home the equalizer, Blesso could have snatched it right at the death when Ryan Keogh free kick bounced right in front of the keeper but just inches away from Finn Harney who made a valiant effort to connect. (FT 0-0)

Extra time – Ryan Keogh whipped another great ball, which Daragh Gilroy did brilliant to header it towards the goal, but the Union defender on the far post was alert and cleared it off the line. That was that though, after it was all about Union and their little striker, his first another long ball not dealt with he nipped in and rounded the keeper to drill it in from a narrow angle (1-2), his second again a similar ball with a similar result, \Blesso just could not cope with his pace or running off the ball. he picked the ball up again and ran at the Blesso goal, as our keeper came out, again he coolly rounded him at slotted home (1-3). The Second period saw a brief flurry from Blesso, with half chances falling to both Daragh Gilroy and Tadgh Miley, but the game was over when Union grabbed a fourth, when another ball not deal with left their striker free to slot home from close range (1-4) AET,

This is another lesson learned for our Blesso boys that errors are punished at the highest level and there are no second chances and although the scoreline flattered Union, there was no doubt the best team won. Our kids will learn from this and will improve, this cup game just came a bit to soon for our kids,
Blesso Team: Ian Coughlin, Daire Clarke, Tadgh Barrett, Tadgh Miley, Don Halpen, Ryan Keogh,Adams Ogbannayo, Daragh Broe Foster,Cian McCarthy, Daragh Gilroy, Ryan Mulvey. Subs Eoin Clarke, Patrick Cunningham, Finn Harney, Chris Murphy


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s